Our list of must have diaper bag items is essential for new parents! From Huggies diapers and wipes, to age-appropriate snacks and more, you won’t want to leave home without these items! So grab a pen and paper and start your checklist! Although this post was sponsored by Johnson & Johnson®, all opinions are my own.
When I first learned I was expecting for the first time, I was ecstatic. My husband and I had been planning for our first child for a few months, and after learning that we’d conceived so quickly, it was such a blessing. While we didn’t announce the news right away, we wanted to wait until the first trimester had passed, I immediately started preparing for the precious little one we’d be welcoming into our hearts within the next 9 months.
To be entirely honest, it was pretty scary in the beginning. Aside from helping family members and friends care for their little ones on occasion, I’d never had much experience with infants, and the more I tried to prepare, the more I realized I had no idea how much work went into the task. I had no concept of how many different products there were for babies, or how overwhelmed I would feel standing in the baby section of different retailers, trying to pick the best one with my limited knowledge.
Thankfully, with the help of my closest friends and family members, the process went a little more smoothly once I made my concerns known. Fast forward 9 months and our firstborn was a healthy, thriving infant with some of the most reliable and highly reviewed products on the market. I quickly learned the ropes of parenthood as well as how to maintain a happy baby outside of the home.
The one mommy must-have that no one can leave the house without: a diaper bag. Housed within my diaper bag was an assortment of items that I quickly found I should never leave the house without. For my fellow mommies, I know you have your own assortment of baby must-haves for when you’re on the go with your little ones but I’m going to give a brief rundown of my own bag of tricks for those who might be expecting or who might just be looking for a few extra tips on how to keep your sanity while on the go with baby.
Diaper Bag Must-Haves:
- Change of Clothes – The first thing I always take the time to pack in my diaper bag is an extra change of clothes, or two. Life with a little one, especially on the go, can get a little messy. Whether you experience an upset tummy, leaked formula or even a blowout (yikes!) it’s always recommended to keep a few extra onesies on hand.
- Hand Sanitizer – this is great for on-the-go as well, given how many foreign objects you may come in contact with in the grocery store, bank, at the playground, etc. The immune systems of babies are weak in the first first months, so eliminating as many yucky germs as possible is vital to keeping baby healthy. I always had a travel bottle of hand sanitizer in the side pocket of my bag.
- Huggies Diapers – As great as sanitizing for germs and having a spare set of clothing is, the most important thing you can ever pack is diapers. After all, without diapers, you’ll be in a world of trouble! A good rule of thumb is to pack a diaper for each hour you’ll be out with your little one but I also doubled that. I couldn’t have made it through our many outings if not for my stash of extra Huggies! As far as favorite products go, I was never so happy than when Huggies was recommended to me by a friend. Absorbent and gentle on little bottoms, I kept an extra bunch of them in my bag every time we ventured out.
- Huggies Baby Wipes – Diapers and wipes might go hand in hand, you can’t have one without the other, but with the many uses for wipes, having more than you need in your bag is a lifesaver. I’ve used them for diaper changes, cleaning up spilled formula, runny noses, wiping off cart handles, etc. I can’t recommend them enough!
- Bottles – There isn’t anything quite as distressing, to both little one and mom, than having the hungries hit and realizing you didn’t pack an emergency bottle! The first time I experienced this situation, not only was my baby in tears but I was too! Fortunately for me, I didn’t repeat that particular mistake for awhile after the first time and always carried a few spares, along with formula, when we went out.
- Sunscreen – If you’re planning on going to a mommy/baby play date with friends or the mama next door, and know you’re going to be out in the sun for even half an hour, don’t forget to make room in your diaper bag for some sunscreen. Infant skin is far more sensitive to the sun than adults, so they’ll burn faster and be much more miserable.
- Plastic or wet bags – Oh, how I kicked myself in the beginning of parenthood, for not thinking to pack these. Believe it or not, you can find yourself in a situation where there isn’t a receptacle for soiled diapers. AND you can’t store wet or soiled clothing in your diaper bag by themselves because, yuck! So if you don’t like using plastic grocery bags, invest in some wet bags and keep one or two tucked away.
- Blanket – If you can’t fit in a full sized baby blanket, invest in some receiving blankets to keep handy. They’re super inexpensive and will come in handy to use as a bib for feeding time, to wipe off excess drool, to keep baby warm, etc.
- Snacks – You might not have a little one who is old enough for snacks yet but if you do, it’s super important to keep a stash of their favorite snacks in your diaper bag. Gummies, crackers, cereal, and the like are great to help keep little ones calm while out and about if you don’t want to stop or prefer to feed them snacks that aren’t loaded with junk. You’ll breathe a sigh of relief when you can cut off a tantrum by the simple act of handing over some snacks!
- Drinks – If your little one(s) is anything like me, then they tend to get a little cranky when the thirsties hit. Keep them hydrated and ward off crankiness by keeping a thermos of milk, water, juice, etc. in your diaper bag during your time away from home. You’ll thank me later!
- BONUS – As a couponer, it’s only natural that I add this – DON’T FORGET YOUR COUPONS! You never know when you are out and about when you might run out of diapers. Be prepared to save money by always having these Printable Huggies Coupons on hand!
As a mama to a houseful of little ones, I’ve had my fair share of instances where I’ve forgotten a must-have item in my bag and paid the price (my sanity, and explosive tantrums) for the mistake. Not only are these 10 items great for almost any situation you might find yourself in, but they’re also budget friendly and easy to acquire. Leave a comment below and tell us what your fave diaper bag item is!
For more diaper bag tips and tricks, head over to Huggies.com